Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Pillars Of The Community - Design Project


Wow! It's has been forever since I've blogged. Have been busy with many new projects, moving to another state, taking a class on campus and a variety of things in between.

One of the projects I've been working on for the past few months, deserves to 
be blogged about.
I was asked by the founder of Pillars Of the Community, Khalid Alexander, to redesign their community room. 
It was an honor to work with a organization dedicated to economic equality, leadership development and community organizing amongst many other roles they play in South East San Diego.

I sent in the initial design proposal back in August 2016 and the work began closer 
to January 2017. It was my first non residential design project and we were working with a small budget; loved the challenge!
Pillars held a re-opening event this past weekend to reveal 
the new space! 

During the event we heard from individuals who have personally benefited
from Pillars. Their stories were emotional and needed to be heard.
Again, it was a true honor for me to work on this project, giving Pillars a space
with a design to call their own and that welcomes everyone
who comes through the door.

The Design

Before 


After

The focal wall I did in this eye-catching blue and added a gray Moroccan stencil pattern to give it a pop.

The rest of the walls were painted a light gray.

We needed to keep the room open and functional 
for events, so kept the new furniture pieces to a minimum. 



Art walls are always fun to work on and
are key to adding personal touches to any space.
We had a few custom pieces made for it.
The painting of the Masjid was made for Pillars by my talented friend, 
Ismat Sami from Art By Ismat

For the opening event, the Pillars board began with a few presentations, then
we headed to the community room for the reveal!




I spoke about my motivation and inspiration for the design. 
Later, the Pillars board and members from the Pillars community presented me with a gift.
Was touched by all of them.
Truly, a great cause and am exhilarated to have left my mark with
such an important organization. 






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2012)